How Does Insurance Act of Ontario Cover Motorcycle Accidents?

Motorcycle season is already here and it’s important to exercise extra care when driving on the road. You should already know that motorcycles provide absolute no collision protection and the only security you get is offered by your protective gear. However, accidents happen and you should be well aware of how to handle yourself if you’ve been involved in an accident of the kind.

Accidents lead to disputes

The first thing that you’d need to understand is that only about 10% of the accidents lead to a dispute which may be resolved in court. The other 90% are basically resolved on the insurance phase because of the “No-Fault” rules set forth in the province of Ontario, but more on that later. The first thing that you should do when you are involved in a motorcycle accident in Waterloo is to call the police. If the accident is serious they are going to be on their way and they’d be present on the scene. However, if it’s nothing serious you’d get to be re-directed to nearest Collision Report Center where you’d have to file a few papers.

Nevertheless, that’s basically all you have to do, provided that the incident isn’t that serious. The “no-fault” rule would be enforced and you’d receive your compensation directly from your own insurance company. This is how things work because of this particular rule. The “no-fault” rule is set forth in the Insurance Act of Ontario and it stipulates that regardless of whether or not you are at fault, you’d get compensated by your insurance company. Of course, fault is going to be distributed.

This is done by according to and pursuant to the Rules of Fault Determination dully outlined in the same Insurance Act. Under those rules each party would allocated with a fault ratio varying between 0% and 100%. Even though this is not going to be reflected on your compensation, your insurance premiums are going to get increased as of the next year. This is because you’d be pinned as a risky driver and the insurance company would take this into account when calculating your insurance amount.

However, you should also know that if you’ve sustained substantial orthopedic injuries or brain traumas or spinal cord injuries or basically any kind of serious injury in Waterloo – you’d be entitled to pursue the matter to court. If that’s the case, you’d have to file a civil compensatory claim asking for compensation above the one provided to you by the insurance company as per your insurance policy. This is going to trigger a civil court procedure and you might want to contract a personal injury lawyer in Waterloo to handle it. In any case, this is going to take a lot more time and legal expenses as well as lawyer fees, so make sure that it’s well worth it.  It is best to consult a legal firm or an experienced lawyer that has dealt with such cases on a regular basis as they are conversant with all aspects of the law.

242 thoughts to “How Does Insurance Act of Ontario Cover Motorcycle Accidents?”

  1. I am an investor of gate io, I have consulted a lot of information, I hope to upgrade my investment strategy with a new model. Your article creation ideas have given me a lot of inspiration, but I still have some doubts. I wonder if you can help me? Thanks.

  2. |Drying your hair off with a basic bath towel may cause your hair to frizz up, so go with another drying option. It will damage and frizz out your hair. Try wrapping it in the towel and pushing it to absorb the moisture instead. When you are satisfied with the results, unwrap it and brush the hair with a comb.

  3. Hello, i feel that i noticed you visited my website so i got here to return the desire?.I am trying to in finding things to improve
    my website!I suppose its adequate to make use of a few of
    your concepts!!

    Check out my website : mp3juice

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.